FAI is a non-interactive system to install, customize and manage Linux systems and software configurations on computers as well as virtual machines and chroot environments, from small networks to large-scale infrastructures like clusters and cloud environments.
It's a tool for unattended mass deployment of Linux. You can take one or more virgin PC's, turn on the power, and after a few minutes, the systems are installed, and completely configured to your exact needs, without any interaction necessary.
Motto: Plan your installation, and FAI installs your plan.
- [31 Jan 2016] Thomas gave a talk at FOSDEM 2016
- [27 Jan 2016] FAI 5.0.2 is released
- [11 Dez 2015] FAI 5.0.1 is released, new images available
- [24 Nov 2015] FAI 5.0 is released
- Installs and updates Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, SUSE, ...
- Centralized deployment and configuration management
- Installs virtual machines using KVM, XEN or VirtualBox and Vserver
- Easy set up of software RAID and LVM
- Full remote control via ssh during installation
- Integrated disaster recovery system
- Every stage can be customized via hooks
FAI is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or any later version.